Counselling, Supervision, Training, Research, Teaching, Writing. Providing therapeutic services to the people of East Lancashire and beyond.

Saturday 14 April 2012

Musical Theatre Review: Wonderful Town


I saw the musical Wonderful Town tonight, performed at the very modern Lyric Theatre inside Salford's Lowry complex. I was in a box and actually had some leg room. What a fabulous piece of entertainment! I knew I'd enjoy the evening because I love the music of Leonard Bernstein - the brassy American sound you hear in West Side Story and Candide - but what I particularly enjoyed this evening was the choreography and the story telling. OK, the plot is pretty corny and there aren't any big hit songs; but the humour, the singing, the acting, the dancing, they were first class. As was the playing of the 17 musicians from the Halle Orchestra under Sir Mark Elder. He gave the audience a laugh at one point by responding to Connie Fisher's song request in a phoney Irish accent. All members of the cast were terrific but I particularly enjoyed watching the supporting cast in their dance routines. I bought the CD from Amazon on my way home so I can spend the next fortnight remembering this evening. You have until Saturday 21 April to see the show, you will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment